Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Your body is a temple

It has become my habit for the past year or so to read a short devotional message (and corresponding verses) every day out of the "Mom's Devotional Bible" given to me by a previous MOPS group. I love these devotionals because they very frequently manage to speak to me on a topic that I just need to hear that day (whether I know it or not). And when I read a corresponding Bible verse that puts God's message into terms I can really relate to, I like to write it down. Sometimes I write it on pretty scrapbooking cardstock. Sometimes it just gets scribbled onto a Post-It. But if you walk around my house, you will find these little "Godly reminders," as I like to think of them, all over the place.

This got me thinking that I ought to share some of those verses here on my blog. Also, in an effort to bring some the focus of this blog back to its title, that is, letting our light shine (which was pulled from Matthew 5:16, which says, "In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven."), it is my desire to shine my light on you, dear readers and loved ones, today...and hopefully in the days to come.

This morning, I read 1 Corinthians 6:19-20, which says, "Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body."

The message in the devotional was about how important it is to keep our bodies healthy. It said this, which really hit home for me today: "Whether or not the lack of love for our bodies shows on the outside, the inside suffers. And eventually, the damage will be demonstrated in the form of impatience, irritability and general grouchiness." While I'm not sure that my present state of grouchiness is fully due to a lack of exercise, it certainly isn't being helped by it.

The Lord knows that I am not a big fan of exercise. I've never been an athletic person and exercise has always been a means to an end in my life, namely, to lose weight. I've been learning recently, however, that regular physical activity does not need to be so intense as to result in major weight loss to be effective. Even a short walk around the block can do wonders for my body, my mind, and my spirit. And God commands it! My body is a temple...HIS temple! And I better start taking better care of it.

I need to let go of the idea that exercise has to be grueling and painful. So today, I will go outside (despite the oppressive humidity) and simply walk around the neighborhood, and even take a dip with Owen in the community pool. That is my only goal for the day today and I hope to get it accomplished ASAP. So, I'm off to do one small thing for my body, which hopefully will result in another small benefit to my mood. I sure need it today!

1 comment:

  1. Amen, friend! I agree 100% and my mind has been so focused on that lately... Have a fun walk and swim. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete