Thursday, February 9, 2012

I surrender

Have you ever had one of those days where you just want to trade in your life for some other life? Throw in the towel and go hide in the closet? Have you ever felt up to your eyeballs in bodily waste? No? Is that just me? Was that just my sucky day?

Here's a recap...

Just before my shower this morning, I discovered several long, brown streaks on the carpet (at least four of them in two different rooms), which I soon realized was the result of the dog dragging his behind to rid himself of the dingleberries on his fur. Awesome sauce. I gave him a quick "butt bath" and removed said dingleberries with my bare hands and promptly scheduled him an appointment for a hair cut. (Oh, and scrubbed my hands raw.)

Then, I took Owen to see his Papa for his birthday today. We had some fun, but when Owen fell asleep on Papa's lap in the recliner, I decided it would be better to move him to the couch so he could take a bit more of a proper nap. Unfortunately, he woke up in the process — screaming mad — and refused to go back to sleep despite our best attempts. He did fall asleep on the drive home then (for all of 20 minutes), but was explicably crabby for the remainder of the day. Owen without his nap = NO fun! Just try explaining that to him, though.

Ryan left work early this afternoon because he wasn't feeling well (which is something he never does!), and had been in bed resting since Owen and I arrived home. That is, until he decided to visit Urgent Care this evening, where he learned that he has a fever of 103 and tested positive for both strep throat AND bronchitis. Oh, and is "extremely contagious." Extra awesome sauce!

I am quickly learning that my patience is probably going to be the biggest barrier to the whole potty training endeavor with Owen. Although we haven't been formally training since several weeks ago (when Owen got sick), we do indulge his frequent requests to "go pee on potty," which — before you go getting all excited — is just because he's learned that he gets some kind of "treat" when he does so. (In hindsight, offering a reward for each and every pee was probably a mistake.) At any rate, he also insists on "helping" dump the pee in the potty into the toilet and tonight, spilled it all over the toilet...that I just washed, no less. Ugh.

While in the bathroom, I realized that there is still a pair of poop-stained Buzz Lightyear underpants from yesterday, sitting in a plastic bag, waiting to be washed. Forgot about those, so they're probably gonners.

And while I'm riding the "woe-is-me" whaaaah-mbulence, I'll just throw in there that the dishwasher still hasn't been unloaded from last night's run, and I have some kind of crazy-painful chapped lip thing that has been going on for over a week now that I'm pretty sure is either some kind of allergic reaction to something or worse, but I'm too embarrassed to call the doctor with a complaint of "chapped lips." Oh, and because it's the kind of awesome mom I am today, I wanted to just sit Owen in front of the TV for the last half-hour before his bath tonight, but our living room TV decided to crap out on me and refused to turn itself on. Cool beans.

So, here I sit, lamenting my crummy day on the computer, rather than unloading that dishwasher or cleaning up the dog poop on the floor. (How do I even do that, anyway???) 


But I just read a friend's post on Facebook that said, "today was a VERY bad mommy day. Here's to hoping tomorrow is better." I immediately responded with, "Ditto that," sensing a familiar attitude of defeat. But another friend had these much more inspiring words to share: "finish each day and be done with it. you have done what you could. some blunders and absurdities have crept in; forget them as soon as you can. tomorrow is a new day. you shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense," which apparently is a quote from Emmerson. 


Love it. I needed that.

2 comments:

  1. what an awful day!! you got some good advice from your friend though :) i'm sending some good vibrations from ankeny your way - hope to hear things turn around soon - and you all start to feel better!!! get those bugs out
    love you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't figure out how to comment tonight, without hitting reply to Rachel's comment. But, I have had those days (mine was having our, former, cat fling a dead mouse at me last winter, and having no one home to take care of it for me, while I stood on the desk chair terrified to move, amongst other events of the day). I saw a mom-friend post once "thankful that His mercies are new every day, because I'm pretty sure I have used all of mine up for today". Ha!

      Here's to hoping Ryan feels better, it sounds like he must be feeling miserable!

      Prayers for all!!!

      Delete